Pop-up test offered in Chatham after cluster linked to house party – NBC Boston


After a cluster of positive coronavirus cases linked to a Cape Cod house party were recently detected by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, contextual tests will be available to test other people who attended the rally .

Ten people initially tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, after attending a house party on July 21 in Chatham, according to city officials.

Three more people associated with the cluster were identified on Friday, bringing the total to 13, according to Chatham’s director of public health and natural resources.

Between 30 and 50 people, who work together in the restaurant industry, attended the party and were apparently not wearing masks, city officials said.

One of the 10 people who tested positive is a Chatham resident and the rest are from out of town, officials said.

To help determine if other revelers may have been infected, a pop-up testing clinic for those who attended will be available July 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the town annex parking lot on George Ryder Road. . Pre-registration is required by calling the Chatham Health Division at 508-945-5165 Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. or Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“We invited those who were able to attend the party and have close contact,” said Shareen Davis, of Selectmen’s Chatham board.

While it is not clear where the revelers work, city officials said some people who tested positive have contacted their employers and a few of those restaurants have temporarily closed. These restaurants follow state health guidelines for deep cleaning before reopening, city officials said.

There was a three-hour wait to get tested for the coronavirus at Melrose High School on Friday, prompting authorities to offer more testing on Saturday.

The fallout from this celebration now has an impact on other restaurants such as Hangar B.

“It’s just kind of a perfect storm in a weird way,” Hangar B owner Tracy Shields said on Friday.

Shields said she closed restaurants inside earlier this week and asked some of her staff to self-quarantine for a few weeks after an unrelated coronavirus alert. She said customers started calling her assuming her closing had something to do with the party.

“My cell phone was ringing a lot last night between guests who legitimately saw something about it and were worried. So they called and relayed the day they were here and a visual description of how their server looked,” Shields said.

Despite the concerns of some residents, others say they feel safe.

“I feel safe just because I’m doing my best to stay healthy, and I hope other people would be too,” said Emily Quinn, Chatham resident.


About Author

Leave A Reply