India.com brings you today’s top five headlines from Tamil Nadu. Our reporter today is DMK, who has promised a student loan waiver if the party wins the next parliamentary elections.Also read – Tamil Nadu government gives green light to 100% occupancy in cinemas, theaters and multiplexes
- 19-year-old woman kills rapist and surrendersA 19-year-old woman in Sholavaram in Tamil Nadu’s Tiruvallur district was arrested by police. She entered the police station and confessed to murdering a man who allegedly tried to rape her with a knife point as she went to relieve herself in a field. The man was a relative of the woman and was intoxicated at the time of the incident.
- DMK promises student loan exemptionTamil Nadu’s opposition party Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) has pledged to forgo education loans if the party wins parliamentary elections scheduled for April / May this year. Party leader and opposition leader in the TN assembly, Deputy Stalin, made the announcement on Sunday in the Erode district.
- 114 star hotel workers in Chennai tested positive for COVID-19The Greater Chennai Corporation (GCC) has stepped up COVID-19 testing of all luxury hotel workers in the city after a cluster of COVID-19 positive cases were reported at another departure hotel on Sunday. In one star category hotel, up to 114 tested positive while 11 in other luxury hotels were found to be infected.
- 53 parakeet chicks rescued in ChennaiNo less than 53 Alexandrine parakeets were rescued by officials from the Chennai Forest Department after carrying out raids on the basis of a denunciation. A gang sold the wild birds directly to customers and was also involved in the illegal online trade. The Wildlife Protection Act 1972 banned the trapping and keeping of parakeets as pets.
- Nilgiris records 22% less rainNilgiris hill station in Tamil Nadu has recorded a 22% northeast monsoon deficit this season. An expert said that this winter in December, the usual icing phenomenon is also missing in the hill station, and such a change in weather occurs after decades.
Also read – Tamil Nadu: 20 Leela Palace hotel employees in Chennai tested positive for COVID-19 Also Read – DMK Chief Writes Tamil Nadu CM Calls for Special Assembly Session to Pass Resolution Against Farm Laws